This short walk, to and from Field House Coffee Barn, is a great way to either give yourself an appetite or burn off your breakfast or lunch. 3/4 of a mile is on road but it is fairly quiet so you should be OK.
Start / End: Field House Coffee Barn, Tibthorpe
Distance: 2.67 miles
Time: 1 hour 10mins
Map: OS 294
1. Park up at Field House Coffee Barn, but be sure to let them know you are walking and leaving your car, and either call in for refreshments before or after your walk.
2. Head out of the back of the Coffee Barn along their permissive path that heads through a gate, turns left and then right to follow the edge of the field. At the top, where there is a sign for the Coffee Shop, turn right to follow the Wold Rangers Way.
The Wold Rangers Way is a circular 43-mile trail that celebrates those who travelled from farm to farm during the previous centuries to find work, using the ancient green lanes and bridle paths of the Yorkshire Wolds. The full route is divided into shorter ‘Trods’ that can easily be accomplished in a day - Croom Mabel (2.5 miles), Horse Hair Jack (9 miles), Ginger Joe (13 miles), Dog Geordie (17 miles) and Mad Halifax (22 miles).
3. Carry on along this stretch of the Wold Rangers Way enjoying the wide-open views across the fields to you right and keeping the hedge line on your left, with views beyond.
4. After about half a mile, the path dips down to your left and then carries on right along the edge of the field with the hedge line now on your right.
5. After about a 1/3 of a mile the path emerges onto a roadway which you follow straight ahead (it also bends up and to your left) for a very short distance until it dips right again back onto a grassy path, with Haywold Farm on your right.
6. After about another 1/3 of a mile you will spot a wooden footpath sign hidden in the hedge on your left (the arrow has fallen off!) opposite a hedge line that runs right. This is where you turn right and head towards the line of trees and the road at the end keeping the hedge on your right.
7. Follow this path along the edge of the field and when you reach the trees keep them on your right. The path goes around the edge of the trees and then continues along the edge of the field on your left all the way back to the road opposite Freshlands Farm.
8. Turn right and walk along the road back to Field House Campsite and Coffee Barn, to enjoy your well-earned cup of tea and big slice of cake.
Note - if you want to do a longer walk you can add this one onto our Field House to Deepdale walk, which is another 2.34 miles. To include this extra section just keep walking along the road instead of turning off to the Coffee Barn for another 0.65 miles before turning onto the footpath into Deepdale.